Healthy School Communities provides information, products, and resources related to school health promotion and online community networking. These resources help educators integrate health issues into the curriculum and address nonacademic barriers to learning.
Learn how to start your own healthy school community and explore current health topics.
Use the following ASCD resources to find out how school health affects student achievement. (ASCD members, log in for full access.)
- Educating the Whole Child: An ASCD Action Tool (2008), by John L. Brown
- Mobilizing the Community to Help Students Succeed (2008), by Hugh Price
- Brain-Friendly Strategies for the Inclusion Classroom (2007), by Judy Willis
- Research-Based Strategies to Ignite Student Learning: Insights from a Neurologist and Classroom Teacher (2006), by Judy Willis
- Teaching with the Brain in Mind, 2nd Edition (2005), by Eric Jensen
- Bullying and Harassment: A Legal Guide for Educators (2004), by Kathleen Conn
- The School Law Handbook: What Every Leader Needs to Know (2004), by William C. Bosher Jr., Kate R. Kaminski, and Richard S. Vacca
- The Respectful School: How Educators and Students Can Conquer Hate and Harassment (2003), by Steven L. Wessler and William Preble
- Education and Public Health: Natural Partners in Learning for Life (2003), by Jenny Smith
- How to Prepare for and Respond to a Crisis, 2nd Edition (2002), by David J. Schonfeld, Robert Lichtenstein, Marsha Kline Pruett, and Dee Speese Linahan
- Every Child Learning: Safe and Supported Schools (2001), by Learning First Alliance
- New Needs, New Curriculum, December 2003/January 2004
- Creating Caring Schools, March 2003
For more ASCD resources, visit the Online Store.